The new project is a formula 1, built from scratch. This is more a design exercise than a complex technical attempt. It is one of my first serious tries to build something realistic, humility drove me to avoid the Power Functions and advanced functions at start, the next model will probably radio commanded at least.
I started by a beam-made profile, the idea was to see what scale and what wheels to choose. After, i built a first front wing, but it was not robust enough, the second is the one you see in the pictures from the gallery. This is the one I’ve kept for the project.
Second step, a body. The front wing gave me a good start to build a body aligned with its top. I made the body with red pieces. Then, i went back to LDD and rebuilt it. This is, imho, a good way to correct a few things, those you dont want to change because you have to remove 30 pieces just to change a small pin somewhere 🙂
After that, I grabbed my box of panels and started to play with them, trying to find a good configuration, then, I finished the model with LDD. This is what you can see in the gallery, the first complete picture of the Formula 1, fully red.
Finally, I went back to the lego boxes and built the model again, following the LDD instructions, and with the colors i had, a nice meli-melo of yellow, red and black, hehe. The design worked well enough for me. A quick jump to bricklink to buy the missing red beams, a quick delivery (thank you Champagne Brickstore !) and here’s the full model, in red and black ! I wont add stickers, i dont like them to much and I’m not sure the model is pretty enough to deserve them ! Next time perhaps 🙂
Building time so far : 4 hours with Lego, 5 hours with LDD, 3 hours of building and unbuilding and building again ! 🙂